On January 1, 2020, changes in Florida law and Rules of Court Procedure will go into effect, changing where a variety of court actions are heard.
- County court jurisdictional thresholds increase to $30,000 on January 1, 2020, and to $50,000 on January 1, 2023.
- Small claims cases on January 1, 2020, will include cases up to $8,000.
- Filers will be required to include a civil cover sheet specifying the dollar amount in dispute in cases exceeding $8,000 in value.
- The new law maintains current rules that limit the provision of subsidized court mediation services to county court cases with an amount in controversy up to $15,000.
- State law provides that on January 1, 2020, appeals of county court orders or judgments with an amount in controversy greater than $15,000 will be heard by the district courts of appeal until January 1, 2023, when the provision repeals.
Visit Florida Courts for more information.